SAFER = Safety Assessment For Evaluation Rehoming
The SAFER Test focuses on learned behaviors, sensitivities, and problem solving. This test provides shelter staff with the ability to evaluate a dog’s behavior accurately and efficiently improving the chances that the adopted dog will remain in his new home.
The SAFER Test process:
- The Stare Test gives clues regarding the dominance and submission of an animal.
- The Sensitivity Test assesses social skills, sensitivity levels and level of fear.
- The Tag Test determines dominance aggression and fear aggression.
- The Pinch Test determines sensitivity, dominance and lack of bite inhibition.
- The Food Aggression Test determines food aggression
- Dog-to-Dog Aggression Test determines sociability with other dogs